Monday, March 07, 2011

Ramble - Beyond The Corner

I needed to cool off a bit! Yeah well can't do like the parrot - a cup is to small a tub for me - so I went on an online ramble looking for ...... well I don't know, but this is what I found.

I got hooked by a post from the 4th of March on the blog "Kissed by Venus" - it contains a list of Classic Lesbian Fiction. Now who can't do with a new reading list ?

Yeah well don't get your hopes up too soon the tag "Fun for the 50 year-olds" - signals real classics - not the easy lesfic you stumble on in the online universe.

This is the fic's listed if you are interested:

• “Orlando” by Virginia Woolf
• “The Well Of Loneliness” by Radclyffe Hall
• “The Children’s Hour” by Lillian Hellman
• “The Autobiography of Alice B. Toklas” by Gertrude Stein
• “Ruby Fruit Jungle” by Rita Mae Brown
• “Patience & Sarah” by Isabel Miller
• “Oranges are not the only fruit” by Jeanette Winterson
• “The Price of Salt” by Patricia Highsmith
• “Annie On My Mind” by Nancy Garden
• “Stone Butch Blues” by Leslie Feinberg
• “The Color Purple” by Alice Walker
• “Tipping The Velvet” by Sarah Waters
• “Beebo Brinker” by Ann Bannon
• “Curious Wine” by Katherine V. Forrest
• “Desert of the Heart” by Jane Rule

Can't say that I've read all the fic's listed but I do think that I've gone through at least half of them over the years.

As I recall some of the fic's are a bit outdated. This also goes for the classic lesfic "Curious Wine", but I have to say its still a great romantic read!

If you want a bit of an introduction to the fic's listed do look up the post on Bookish Butch's blog - I like the writing style. By the way I'm not a big Sarah Waters fan but I enjoyed both "Tipping The Velvet" and "The Night Watch" - so if you haven't visited with Waters yet - you could give these a try.

Besides the list of classics "Kissed by Venus" have a new online magazine out - "Venus Magazine" - with a mix of book reviews, interviews, fiction, and commentary on all aspects of lesbian literature. You can read it online here.

If you are comfortable wandering beyond the fan fiction universe offered online - you can look through the books and movies listed on the page "Beyond The Corner" for further ideas to pass a bit of time.

No comments:

Post a Comment